On the hunt for family-friendly ways to ring in the New Year? Columbia, SC is home to several spectacular NYE events and the good news is, several of them are kid-friendly! The majority of these events will be over well before midnight, leaving plenty of time to get home before the bigger celebrations begin. We’ve found events with miniature ball drops, bowling, skating, great prizes, and more!
Happy New Year from the Kidding Around Columbia team!
Capital City Fireworks
Where: Downtown Columbia, SC
Time: Fireworks are at midnight
Event Details: Replacing the popular Famously Hot New Year’s event in 2022, is the family-friendly event, Capital City Fireworks. Families are invited to spend time in the city and stay for fireworks at midnight. The best places to view the fireworks will be along Gervais Street and Main Street, to the north side of the SC State House.
City parking garages will all be free for this event. In fact, you’ll find free parking at all city-run garages from December 30th, 2022 through January 3rd, 2023.
Cold Winter’s Day 5K and Family Fun Run
Where: 4801 Forest Drive
Time: 5K at 10 am; Snowflake Youth Fun Run at 10:45 am
Price: From $15 to $50 depending on race and sign-up date
Event Details: Kick-off your celebrations with a 5K and/or family fun run! This is a rain-or-shine event. Runners will receive a t-shirt!
Noon Year’s Eve Celebration at Altitude Trampoline Park
Where: Altitude Trampoline Park – 7451 Garners Ferry Road
Time: 10:30 am until 12:30 pm
Event Details: Join Altitude to celebrate 2023! This includes 2 hours of jump time, a balloon drop, prizes, sparkling cider toast, and more! Be sure to purchase your tickets ASAP as this deal is limited to the first 100 jumpers. Tickets should be purchased on or before December 29th.
Skateland Fun Center Celebrations
There are TWO New Year’s Eve events at Skateland Fun Park!
- Kids New Year Celebration
- Time: 10:30 am until 12:30 pm
- Price: $6/skater – rental skates included
- Event Details: This event will offer plenty of family fun, prizes, candy scramble, celebratory hats and horns, and so much more!
- 2023 New Year Glow Party
- Time: 6 pm until 10 pm
- Price: $6 for 5 and younger; $8.50 for ages 6 to 11; $9 for 12 and older
- Event Details: This is an event for all ages! Celebrate the New Year with a fun glow party!
More places to go bowling in Columbia, SC with the kids.
Dave & Buster’s New Year Celebration
Where: Dave & Buster’s – 100 Columbiana Circle, Suite 5
Time: 4 pm until 7 pm
Event Details: Celebrate the New Year with your family at Dave & Buster’s. Admission includes an appetizer buffet, unlimited drink options, Ginger Ale toast, $20 power card, party hats, and more!
Fireflies Holiday Lights – NYE Event
Where: Segra Park – 1640 Freed Street
Time: 5 pm until 8 pm
Price: From $9 to $16
Event Details: This will be your last chance to get a glimpse of the Fireflies Holiday Lights at Segra Park. There will be a kid-friendly NYE ball drop at 7 pm complete with sparkling cider and plenty of fun!
We visited! Check out the Kidding Around Review of Fireflies Holiday Lights.
New Year’s Eve Late Night Skate
Where: Three Fountains Recreation Skating Rink and Mini Golf
Time: 7:30 pm to 2 am
Price: $12 in advance, $15 at the dor
Events Details: Advanced sale tickets get to enter early at 7 am. Skate and mini golf and a pair of skates will be given away at the event.
New Year’s Eve Bash 2023
Where: The Grand – 1621 Main Street
Time: 7:oo pm until 2 am
Price: No tickets necessary for General Admission
Event Details: This will be a New Year’s Bash featuring outdoor games, indoor bowling, a DJ, and a countdown to the New Year!
New Year’s Eve on the Lanes
Where: AMF Bowling – 900 Axtell Drive
Time: 9 pm until 1 am
Price: Depends on package – more info below
Event Details: Start 2023 off with a strike! There are two different packages to choose from:
- NYE Family Package
- 2 hours of unlimited bowling
- Multiple time slots are available on both December 31 and January 1, 2023.
- NYE Ball Drop
- 4 hours of unlimited bowling (9 pm until 1 am)
- Sparkling cider and champagne toast
Start the Year Off Outdoors
Parties and big celebrations not your style? How about starting off the year with some fresh air and exercise? There are several places right in Columbia where you can enjoy a more relaxed New Year’s Day and get in a long walk or a hike.
- Columbia’s Riverwalks are a great option for walking or bike riding with a riverfront view.
- Visit Sesquicentennial State Park for a bit of light hiking around the lake!
- Spend some time at Saluda Shoals Park. Let the kids play at Leo’s Landing or take a stroll.
New Year’s Eve is often the last night to see holiday light displays. If you haven’t had a chance to drive through our Columbia holiday lights driving routes, New Year’s Eve is the night!
Find More Things to Do!
Still need more ideas? We have them!
- Winter break in Columbia, SC: Here’s our Columbia Winter Break Bucket List
- The Giant List of Things to Do in Columbia, SC: You’ll never be bored again!
- Be ready for winter with our Columbia, SC Guide to Winter. We have great ideas to keep the family busy and having fun, including some snowy day trips!
How will your family ring in the New Year?